14 August 2009

Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)

Wait, I have a strange sensation that I've already seen this movie, but with better characters and a more suspenseful story. A murder in New York takes place and voyeurs and snoops solve the crime, and the crime brings the couple closer together? And the villain resembles Raymond Burr. What movie is this? Okay, I'm using a technique called "sarcasm" to relay my disappointment and simultaneous amusement with this Woody Allen movie. Yes, it's great that Woody likes movies so much and that he makes his own movies as an homage to past ones [Rear Window in this case], but really -- at some point maybe you don't actually have a super awesome idea for a movie. Maybe don't make a movie for one year. It's totally okay.

While I thought Rear Window was a better movie, Manhattan Murder Mystery was pretty fun. Its cast features the First Lady of Cinema, Angelica Houston, Alan Alda [feminist], Aida Tuturro and Jerry Adler [both of Sopranos fame]. Also, the last scene of the movie mirrors [get it?] the mirror scene from The Lady from Shanghai. People shoot each other amidst mirrors, and the mirrors reflect scenes from The Lady from Shanghai because it is playing in the movie theater where the shooting is taking place. Rad!

3/5 pizzas

3 comments:

  1. Fun fact. This movie was originally the A-story for Annie Hall, and then someone was like "Stop it Woody. Make a good one instead." So he did Annie Hall, and made this from the remains, and it basically came out okay. ALSO HE WANTED TO CAST MIA FARROW RIGHT AFTER SHE ACCUSED HIM OF MOLESTING HER CHILDREN WHO DOES THAT???

    ReplyDelete
  2. this was my first-ever woody allen movie. my parents were like "hey want to wach this?" and I was like "ok, but don't forget that I am 12 years old and would rather be building a model rocket so that the kids at school have a good reason for never wanting to talk to me." "Don't worry," they said, "knowing who woody allen is at your age IS JUST AS EFFECTIVE!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I watched this movie I was 21. I had just moved to Seattle and I had to watch it on the floor in an empty room because we didn't have beds or sofas or anything. I was eating some nasty frozen dinner and I probably didn't smell that good because the shower in my house didn't really drain and Ring's hair was on the ceiling. Then Orson Wellws hoisted Alfred Hitchcok through the window and said he liked Woody Allen and was ok with him making this movie.

    ReplyDelete