05 August 2009

Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari (1920)


Once in a while German Expressionist filmmaking is totally rad. Sometimes it is not. Since this movie is German, and Wiene's style is "expressionistic," then by the transitive property this movie is rad. Most of it, at least. I generally have trouble watching silent dramas, as I usually get antsy throughout the film, yet I very much enjoy silent comedies and shorts. I know this does not bode well for my career as a professional movie watcher, but I am practicing my silents. Plus I've seen a bunch at this point, so great job. Anyway, besides this movie being melodramatic [which is inevitable for a flick of its ilk] and for me feeling antsy, Caligari was splendid. The scenery was so slanty! That totally set the eerie tone. Plus, the film dealt with death, desire, murderous gazes, vocabulary with Latin roots [somnambulist] and extra round glasses. Good show.

4/5 pizzas

1 comment:

  1. The scenery was very slanty! Possible the slantiest scenery I've ever seen. I also do like the latin. I think my main problem with this was that acting was really over the top. Even for a silent. I also watched in in oxfam waiting for some people to show up who were late. So, that is also something to take into consideration.

    ReplyDelete