01 August 2009

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World (1963)


It's so mad that they maddened it fourfold! Alright, everyone, this is one of my absolute favorite movies of all time. I hadn't seen it in about 10 years, and it completely hit the spot. Basically it is incredibly silly and goofy, but 100% fun. I know some of you are thinking that you don't want to invest 192 minutes in a movie recommended by me - a person who likes certain other long ass movies. It's a Mad x 4 World is a super great screwball. Here are my reasons:

1. It features Buddy Hackett, whose face is above. He flies a plane in the movie with Mickey Rooney while the Millionaire from Gilligan's Island/Mr. Magoo [the actual pilot] passes out drunk from having too many Old-fashioneds. Look how scared he looks! He is my favorite character in the movie because he sounds like he has marbles in his mouth.

2. Did I mention that basically every comedian from the early 60s is in this movie? Every. Single. One. The people I mentioned in #1, Milton Berle, Spencer Tracy, Jack Benny, Don Knotts, Phil Silvers, Ethel Merman, Sid Caesar, Jerry Lewis, and a billion others. And Jimmy Durante literally kicks the bucket when he dies.

3. This movie is goofy. There are better-than-the-French-Connection car chases, cars that sink, cars that fly, explosions in basements, dynamite, blow torches, the man-handling of a mother-in-law, duct tape, cacti, and Carl Reiner.

4. This guy cries a lot and only wears hot pants. Watch it.
5/5 pizzas

1 comment:

  1. That picture with all of them reminds me of that excellent movie, annie, that you refuse to watch.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR80EEsWauU
    Go to around 1:30-1:40 to understand what I'm talking about.

    ReplyDelete