29 August 2009

Inglourious Basterds (2009)

Another Quentin Tarrantino movie?! Although he's not my favorite, why wouldn't I see this movie? It's got an all-star cast, Nazis, and France. The flick was fun for most of the time, but I would not go farther than saying that I moderately liked it. Many factors influenced my decision, including the venue in which we watched the flick. The joint is named "The Big Picture" and is a Seattle gem [I say this like I've not lived here for only 3 weeks]. The place is a really cool space in the basement of a fancy hotel; it looks like a gourmet restaurant; one is greeted by a hostess in a cocktail dress; one has to be 21 to enter; one can order cocktails or popcorn in glass buckets. The place spells Class with a capital C, people. I was feeling good until all the bjs in the audience kept getting up to get the classy popcorn and cocktails throughout the movie. People kept bringing in said foodstuffs and disrupting everything. At least other theaters that adhere to the same food-serving practices have engineered their theaters to make that service effective and unobtrusive.

Another major problem with this blowjob audience was that they laughed at all the wrong parts. Neither slicing people's foreheads open nor strangling ladies make me want to laugh. Extreme violence [which is not cartoon-like in this QT movie] is not really funny. It's serious, tense, maybe scary, disturbing. Shut up, audience! Stop knocking over your glass drinkware. You are so dumb.

Now, to discuss the actual movie. Carmel gave a very apt analysis of Inglourious Basterds by concluding that Quentin Tarrantino got the idea for the movie while watching the Oscars this year. "Hmm, WWII/Holocaust movies win big every year. Brad Pitt was in Benjamin Button, and that got a lot of nominations. How can I combine the two?" Right?

At least I liked some of the cast. Melanie Laurent, who I liked in another French movie with an impossible title, was slammin. So was the main Nazi, who had just the right amount of snarkiness and terror to be a good nazi. Also, I'd like to point out that another Nazi was named Zoller. Hmm. The best thing about this movie was that film itself was the hero! Boom, you're roasted, Nazis.

[Didn't the fire remind you of the ending, ever-so-terrifying scene in Raiders of the Lost Arc? I guess QT (who is not a cutie) watched that too.]

3/5 pizzas

2 comments:

  1. I hate this movie AND Quentin. And what of it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3's about right. It totally loses steam halfway through, and also sam levine only got one line, but I'd argue that the audience was right to laugh when they were scalping nazis. p.s. at least quentin didn't have a cameo p.p.s. brad pitt's southern accent was better in this than it was in Benjamin Button.

    ReplyDelete