14 August 2009

I Walked With a Zombie (1943)

Because it was recommended by a pal, I watched I Walked With a Zombie sooner rather than later. I then remembered that maybe I wasn't really supposed to waste my time with it after the first 10 minutes. It's no big loss, though, because this movie was only 70 minutes. It's one of those Val Lewton horror B-movies, except its kitsch factor was minimal and was completely and totally eclipsed by the film's racism and boring plot. One lady is maybe a zombie and her nurse [the protagonist and narrator] goes to a St. Sebastian island in the Caribbean to take care of her. When the nurse arrives, she comments to her cab driver [who is black] that "Wasn't it nice that those white men brought those black people to this beautiful island?" Problems. I probably don't even have to mention the issues presented by the topics of Voodoo and tribal dancing in this movie. It's even worse than King Kong in that respect.

Also, it turns out the Tom Conway in the movie is not the Conaway I was thinking of.

1/5 pizzas

1 comment: