21 August 2009

Reality Bites (1994)

Okay, people. I have been known to pontificate that the best movie from the period of 1990-1995 is Pulp Fiction. I still believe this, but another pre-Titanic 90s movie that I love is Reality Bites. Not by any means is this movie a quali-T movie, but it is awesome and important to me, okay? I often like to pretend that my hay-day was in the early to mid-nineties, but really I was just in first grade then. Reality Bites is incredibly 90s-tastic. What other 1994 movie features floral dresses, a Violent Femmes cover, and Diet Cokes? Basically, Reality Bites is the movie version of My So-Called Life: The Post-College Years.

This movie is the perfect Ijustgraduatedfromcollegeandiamkindofaninterestingpersonwhocantfindajob movie, so I made my friends watch it in our movie/blanket room the other day. We can totally relate.

As many other young laydees, I identify with Winona Ryder. That's probably because of her other movie, but she's okay in this one too. Unfortunately, Carmel got to be Winona because she is interested in broadcasting. Sade was Janeane Garofalo, who's into vintage, Saturday Night Fever [I'm into SNF as well], works at the Gap, and is successful with the fellas. I was Ethan Hawke [even though I'm really Winona] because he works at a newsstand, steals snicker bars, and reads fancy books. Chris was Steve Zahn's character, who besides being gay, didn't really contribute anything to the movie. Sorry, Chris.

Another thing we all had in common with the characters was that we love convenience stores and how they always sell Big Gulps.

Anyway, if wish you were old enough to have seen Kurt Cobain's death on MTV news, then you should watch this movie. Ahem, it's directed by Ben Stiller!

5/5 pizzas

1 comment:

  1. omg Nicole, since when am I into broadcasting? It's like you don't even know me. I thought I was Winona because a) I hate Winona Ryder like I hate myself and b) because I'm actually in love with you but don't know it yet because the movie's not over.

    ReplyDelete