22 August 2009

Thirst (Bakjwi) (2009)

This is my favorite movie that came out this year. Look how hot it looks.

Moon
was good, but this was great. As a fan of Oldboy, I was really excited to see Thirst. If the Landmark Theater had not wronged us*, then I would have had a perfect movie-viewing experience. The film itself is beautiful -- a bunch of really striking shots, gorgeous color contrasts [blood against a neon-white room], etc. Here is what I am talking about:

And the suspense! And the horror, oh the horror! Thirst is basically the South Korean version of The Thornbirds + vampires. WHAT MORE CAN I ASK FOR IN A MOVIE? Kang-ho Song and Ok-vin Kim are really great in this too. Look what great chemistry they have!

I won't give a plot overview because I don't want to ruin anything. But seriously, go see this. It's top notch.


*I officially hate the Landmark Varsity Theater in the Univ. District of Seattle. First of all, since it was a Landmark, we thought they'd give us free popcorn. WRONG. Turns out we scarfed down that extra-large bag of popcorn before the first credit for nothing. When we tried to get our rightful refill, they said "Those are the breaks." Unbelievable. Then, we noticed that they do a "Can you name these ten head shots of Hollywood stars" contest. Of course, we guessed all the ones on the sample card outside, but when we went in there were different starlets. Plus you can't win your free tickets on the spot. Then, they didn't give a student discount. Then they made us go to the 3rd floor for bathrooms. Otherwise, the theater is magnificent and it's my favorite in the city [aesthetically speaking].

5/5 pizzas

5 comments:

  1. nah, dude. close, but no. also, what about your FAVORITE movie of 2009, The Wrestler?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I think you meant the Thorwalds: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2139/2403627800_3d5c1f969a_o.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. there aren't student discounts on weekends, duh. Also you forgot to mention that kang-ho song, who was awesome in this, looked exactly like muffin when he starred in The Host. http://thecia.com.au/reviews/h/images/host-gwoemul-1.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  4. also obesity is a problem in this country, we shouldn't encourage free Xtra large popcorn refills, haven't you seen FOOD INC?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my least favorite part about this gawd awful movie was the hot, steamy chemisty between the two characters. Sex? Before marriage? With a priest? Too sinful. Also, I like my vampires movies like I like my favorite time of the day, at twilight.

    ReplyDelete