02 August 2009

Steamboat Bill, Jr. (1928)


Wait, are these two movies different? They both look like cartoons. They both came out in the same year. They both have titles with the word "steamboat" and certain derivations of the name William. What's going on here?

When I put on something called Steamboat Bill, Jr., I expected to see a 2-dimensional mouse in hot pants work a helm. But I didn't. I saw men with mustaches and Buster Keaton in a beret. Question mark indeed. What is he doing naming his movies after cartoons and confusing the hell out of people 90 years later? Goddamn it.

I watched the movie anyway, and it wasn't a big deal since I actually really love Buster Keaton. I would have to say that this is one of my lesser favorites of his. There is, however, a great windy sequence during which old Buster is blown around on a bed. Then a house falls down on him. He's fine, don't worry. He got through a window.

3/5 pizzas

1 comment:

  1. Um, actually, Steamboat Bill Jr. totally came first. Walt Disney made his movie AFTER seeing Steamboat Bill. So good job, Buster.
    http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=info:9ggPAVetyAQJ:scholar.google.com/&output=viewport&pg=1&hl=en
    Would Mickey Mouse even exist if it wasn't for everyone's favorite no-smiler, Buster? Discuss.

    ReplyDelete