21 August 2009

Streets of Fire (1984)

"I don't ask for much, so do this one thing for me: make this the first movie in your queues. I need everyone I know and care about to watch it, so i can disown anyone who dislikes it."
-- Wm. Miles Donovan

Hmm, troublesome. Our Consigliere Miles Donovan advised that we watch this movie, as he loved it and it is a top favorite of a local movie theater owner that we love to hate. I was promised awesomeness -- sledge hammer duels, motorcycles, explosions, etc. Usually I am the Debbie Downer that dislikes these kinds of movies, while my other, more open-minded friends give them a break. Fortunately, our group at the Maxi Pad concurred that Streets of Fire, despite its 15 minutes of awesomeness, was categorically not awesome. The sledge-hammer fight scene featuring Willem Dafoe is cool, but it barely lasts 5 minutes. Most of the movie was pretty slow and dare I say it -- boring. I'm not alone in this school of thought, either.

Things I loved about this movie: cameo from The Chief of television's Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?; Rick Moranis, an excellent soundtrack featuring the song "I Can Dream About You"; maybe this movie was inspired by a Bruce Springsteen song; an extremely lesbian-ish co-protagonist.

Here is a song that is also good by Hall and Oates:

2/5 pizzas

2 comments:

  1. On behalf of Ned Brattle, I thank you for tagging me on this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what about Ed Begley Jr's cameo? What about how scary Willem Dafoe looked? What about the lady who kicked ass and was a lesbian? how did you not pick up on any of these things?

    ReplyDelete