06 October 2009

Whip It (2009)

"I've wanted to know, once again, what love is. I wanted Drew Barrymore to show me. She did."
---An esteemed professor at a university

Thank you for saying that, dude. That's kind of how I feel. This movie taught me how to love. Like, you know, true love. True love! Okay, I need to chill.

Let's start again. I do believe that this is my favorite movie of 2009. Although Thirst and Moon were fabulous, I enjoyed watching Whip It way more. I think I was beaming the whole time in the second row of the theater. Why, you ask? Well, because this movie was about: 1. A bunch of lady protagonists being empowered, 2. Feminisms, 3. Excellent excellent combat roller derby, 4. Rock and roll, 5. Alia Shawkat.

Need I say more? I know, I was worried about Drew Barrymore making a movie too. I thought maybe it'd just be about a hare krishna monk daydreaming about butterflies and incense, but she actually did a great job. Save some small anti-feminist plot flaws and absence of lesbianism in a clearly queer arena, this movie was absolutely fabulous. Exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And always remember: When a problem comes along, you can [go see] Whip It.

5/5 pizzas

4 comments:

  1. seriously this movie fucking owned, no criticisms, not even one

    ReplyDelete
  2. i bet i know someone who really loved this movie: http://www.imagination-llc.com/img/titles_large/mydatewithdrew.jpg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah it was good but saying it is better than Moon or Thirst is like saying "I am a crazy person, please put me in an asylum."

    ReplyDelete