27 October 2009

Nashville (1975)

Well, I guess I'm making my way through Mr. Altman's movies, as this is my 4th one viewed this year. After reeling from my disdain for Shortcuts and scratching my head in response to 3 Women, I was pretty surprised that I enjoyed one of Altman's longest movies. Actually, I was pretty fond of Nashville. The sweet sounds of country western tunes + Lily Tomlin + Jeff Goldblum on a tricycle + Elliott Gould playing himself + profound sadness? These are some pretty excellent ingredients for a great movie.

Okay, okay, I know Nashville's close to three hours long and I usually squirm after 90 minutes. Maybe bifurcating the movie to watch The Descent influenced my level of enjoyment a bit.

4/5 pizzas

3 comments:

  1. Yo I loved this movie, and next time you're able I will send you a) the soundtrack (which is great), and b) the tribute album by alt-country stars including NEKO CASE EVER HEARD OF HER HELLLLLO???

    ReplyDelete