21 July 2009

Match Point (2005)

As much as it pains me to begin my blog by reviewing Match Point, that's just how it worked out. It is the first movie I watched today, and today is the day, so whatever. As I was already warned by my kin and fellow moviegoers, Match Point was just not that great. I figured I'd give it a try, as I love that guy who made it, and I try almost all his movies. Even the oh-so-terrible Broadway Danny Rose that was filmed in my New Jersey neighborhood and featured my grandmother's pasta. No big deal.

So I gave it a try, and this is what I gleaned from the viewing: 1. Scarlet Johansen is not my favorite, and especially not in this movie. Any character who willingly says "I'm sexy, not beautiful" in an English pub just sucks. I hope I'm not setting the wrong tone for this blog by commencing with how much I disliked a lady character in a movie. Enough people hate ladies without me contributing, but that just gives you an idea of how annoyed I was by Nola Rice [S.J.]. 2. There are about a gagillion movies about rich British/American couples bunnin' that are better than this one, so bunnin' could not be it's saving grace. 3. Mainly, I just thought it was a mediocre movie with dumb characters. [Note my eloquent reviewing style.] It's pseudo-suspenseful soundtrack didn't make me anxious about impending doom, but just made me antsy. Movies like this should not be over 120 minutes, Woody. When I get to remake Match Point, it will look and sound more like Mario Tennis and will star James Cromwell and Isabella Rossellini.

2/5 pizzas

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! This is Becca. I just want to say that a lot of people didn't like Match Point, but I did, probably because I had read Crime and Punishment a few weeks before. How come nobody knows that its a play on the book? The main fella is even reading C%P at one point, and I liked seeing Woody Allen play with the story and then end it in a new way. So, if you rewatch it and think about Dostoyevsky you might enjoy it more. However, a movie should stand on its own I guess, even if you don't know what its referencing -- so I suppose its a moot point.

    (Hi! Come back please, thank you!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah this movie blows. Don't listen to someone who says you have to read a thousand page book before you can enjoy a movie that's not good. I think Woody Allen has actual British-actor-blindness, an inability to recognize an absence of talent in British people. EXAMPLES:
    Jonathan Rhys SUCKS BALLS GUY
    Colin Farrell
    Probably others

    ReplyDelete
  3. this movie made me want to kill myself.

    ReplyDelete