30 July 2009

Gattaca (1997)

I missed out on this movie when it came out because I was only watching one movie at the time. I just didn't have time for riff raff, you know? So twelve years later, I watched Gattaca. It was recommended by a pal who made a really good joke about the movie: "What is Al Pacino's favorite Sci-Fi movie? Gattaca! Gattaca!" Funny, right?

It turned out to be pretty good. It's no Battlestar Galactica [Al Pacino's favorite TV show], but it does have a similar title. Here is a plot summary: It is the not-so-distant future and parents have control over what kinds of genes their children have -- eugenics type stuff. Ethan Hawke wants to work for Gattaca and go on a space mission, but his genes ain't good enough, so Jude Law lends him some blood/piss samples. Uma Thurman is another employee of Gattaca, and she wears her hair in a bun the whole movie. Also, Gore Vidal plays the director of Gattaca. Weird! Basically, this movie has the most good-looking Sci-Fi cast around, even considering that Ken Marino has a cameo.

My main dislike is that there was too much blood/intravenous/veins/injection action going on in the movie. I concede that this is my own fault for not loving veins and not the movie's, so sorry I guess.

3/5 pizzas

2 comments:

  1. you realize that your boyfriend leo is choking your girlfriend kate in that picture, right? from a womens studies major?

    ReplyDelete
  2. erotic asphyxiation -- ever heard of it?

    ReplyDelete