24 July 2009

Wet Hot American Summer (2001)

Ok, so I know you're thinking that this is turning into a dude-bro blog, or at the very least a blog of a person who only watches movies one can find on basic cable. But I'm trying my best, people, so everybody chill. Watching Wet Hot American Summer and Wonder Boys in the same day doesn't mean that I am not about to watch some artsy fartsy Italian crap.

My main complaints are that there was too much yelling and way too much visible tongue while making out, not to mention problems with The Gaze. I know that the main motif in this movie is making out, but all that frenching and all that tongue really turns my stomach sometimes, you know? I blame Paul Rudd for all of this. After some deep soul searching and cinematic research, I've noticed that wherever Paul Rudd goes, the sloppy frenching follows. Let me expalin:


Example A.

Example B.

This is my first viewing of W.H.A.S., and because it has that dangerous nostalgia factor that it does, I did not love the movie at this point in my life. I know everyone is going to yell, because this movie is "awesome," but I just didn't love it. I decided to watch it because I've developed a crush on Michael Showalter and his crew, and if I suffered through The Ten, I most definitely was going to catch this. The cast was of course phenomenal, but that's not breaking news.

Most importantly, it was great to see Janeane Garofalo make out with David Hyde Pierce, with just the right amount of no tongue.

3/5 pizzas

4 comments:

  1. I thought all of us Tufts students had to give this movie an obligatory 5 stars because, "like, omg two tufts students were in it!!!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. a few points: I am not going to yell. I'd like to contest this "nostalgia factor." This movie came out in 2001 (the same year as 9/11 - not the movie, the real thing), which makes it less than a decade old. This ain't the Goonies (the Goonies sucks), it is just a movie people like for regular reasons. The first time I saw this movie (2003) I had downloaded it from KaZaa (or was it eMule?) and was watching it on a laptop that froze every half hour - no fond memories. Perhaps the nostalgia you're referring to has to do with the idyllic childhood experiences of camp people from New Jersey (and maybe other states) have. I have never been to the sort of sleepaway camp depicted in the film, and if I had I'm sure I would have been appropriately miserable, so I guess I'm just confused by your nostalgia factor argument.

    Furthermore, is this a dudebro movie? I really hope that is not the connotation that it has. It is just a fun comedy for those rare people who are not terrible.

    Also, re: Sade's comment - I didn't know Oliver Platt and Hank Azaria were in this - are they extras or something?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn but Miles just went all blah blah blah basically for a paragraph, so I'm just going to say I think the movie's extra funny in part because of Paul Rudd's sloppy kissing. It's got the exaggerated human emotion that can be found in a lot of David Wain's stuff. Basically everything Paul Rudd does in this movie is hilarious, though. Okay maybe I went on a little long too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humour
    =
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet_Hot_American_Summer
    =
    http://www.ncode.com/nCodeAdmin/images/news/7651138123Five%20star.jpg

    ReplyDelete