29 July 2009

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (1958)

Attention! Latent homosexuality alert!

Wait, like is this Tennessee Williams play about a dude being a homo and being torn up about it? Like, does his having a crutch and broken leg signify some kind of castration? And the movie stars Elizabeth Taylor? That never happens! Sarcasm aside, I'm a sucker for these Tennessee Williams movie adaptations, and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof is good in that "It's the south and it's so hot but not as hot as my womanly desires that are never satisfied by my gay husband" way. Having read only a couple of Williams' plays, seeing one or two of the screen adaptations, and hearing a lot about Maggie the Cat on several episodes of Beverly Hills 90210 when Brenda gets into "acting," I was rip roarin' to watch this movie on TCM. And it's pretty great -- lots of yelling, writhing, and people looking like babes in all their Technicolor glory.

I think I was most excited to see Judith Anderson, better known as Mrs. Danvers! from Rebecca, be "Big Momma Pollit in this movie. I'm glad she still had acting jobs almost 20 years after her best role.
3/5 pizzas

2 comments:

  1. you forgot to put this link to beverly hills 90210: http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joystuff/baywatch/baywatchcreatures.jpg

    ReplyDelete