08 September 2009

Sept. 1-Sept. 21 Recap


Okay, here is the deal. I have been a terrible interneter in the past 3 weeks -- mainly because I moved, started working full-time, and did not have the internets at home until last Thursday. I really don't feel like blogging about the back log of 30 movies that I watched, so I'm just going to give a snippet of a review for each one. This is my blog and I can do whatever I want, so deal with it, 5 readers. In other news, I'm about 30 movies away from reaching my 365 goal, but I'm slowing down a bit because I've been abducted by some television shows. Whatever, here goes.

Julie and Julia (2009): 3/5 pizzas; only Julia Child's story was interesting

Con Air (1997): 5/5; BEST MOVIE EVER

Butterfield 8 (1960): 3/5; Elizabeth Taylor lookin fine in a boring movie

Mon Oncle (1958): 2/5; too wacky, too French

Battle of Algiers (1966): 4/5; first-time viewing, very powerful
A Hard Day's Night (1964): 5/5; one of my all-time favorites; The Beatows!

3 Days of the Condor (1975): 5/5; Basically the gentile version of Marathon Man, this was extremely exciting. Robert Redford was lookin fine, even though he hates poor people at Sundance.

Return of the Jedi (1983): 4/5; first-time viewing, and my least favorite of Episodes IV - VI

Amelie (2001): 5/5; one of my all-time favorites; it's too bad everyone I love hates this movie

North by Northwest (1959): 5/5; FAVORITE MOVIE EVER; CARY GRANT>JIMMY STEWART

Dazed and Confused (1993): 1/5; besides it's awesome, mostly-Kiss soundtrack, this movie was dumb and patriarchal

Mrs. Miniver (1942): 2/5; incredibly boring movie about British folks; too bad the actors weren't British

American History X (1998): 2/5; shock value for the sake of shock value

Virgin Spring (1960): 2/5; a lessor favorite of Bergman's

Smokey and the Bandit (1977): 3/5; a 9/11 tradition; watching and singing along is fun, but the movie is just okay

My Left Foot (1989): 3/5; Daniel Day-Lewis is the bomb; this movie is just okay

(500) Days of Summer (2009): 2/5; I barfed all over myself during this viewing; SOMEONE ELSE IS NOT YOUR SOULMATE IF THEY LIKE THE SMITHS. MOST PEOPLE LIKE THAT BAND.

Death Wish (1974): 2/5; Jeff Goldblum is a RAPIST in this???? My heart breaks.

Murder! (1930): 3/5; an unmemorable early Hitchcock; I couldn't remember I had already seen it until half-way through it

Skin Game (1931): 2/5; another ealry Hitchcock; boring borign boring; not about racism, surprisingly

Short Cuts (1993): 2/5; One of Robert Altman's longest movies; I decided I'm not a fan of his

Rich and Strange (1931): 2/5; an even more boring early Hitchcock

Big Fan (2009): 5/5; one of the best movies of the year; just as sad as the Wrestler, but even more gritty. Staten Island

Pootie Tang
(2001): 3/5; Chris Rock is pretty funny sometimes


Big Man Japan (2007): 3/5; some great monster fights, but the non-fight parts were boring

The Red Shoes (1948): 2/5; how did I not know this was a musical-dancical???

The Petrified Forest (1936): 4/5; Humphrey + Bette Davis = a charismatic cast

Manxman (1929): 2/5; an even more boring Hitchcock; maybe I am getting close to finishing his flicks

Dont Look Back (1967): 3/5; Bob Dylan a narcissistic bloke in this. Don't be so mean to Joan Baez!

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975): 3/5; first-time viewing. Finally! I don' t hate it. I even loled.

Ace in the Hole (1951): 2/5; even though Billy Wilder is one of my faves, this movie was pretty much a let down.

Total: 31. Boom!

6 comments:

  1. I really don't feel like 3 days of the condor is on even remotely the same level as Marathon Man. Also didn't death wish suck? your bronon shirt < my eastwood shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked Ace in the Hole! Kirk Douglas is a babe! Come on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excuse me nicole, you are well aware that I dig Amelie.

    maybe I am not in the "people you love" category.

    Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post proves that the violence is inherent in the system. Come and see the violent inherent in the system! Help! Help! I am being repressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also like Amelie, but I know you don't love me, so that's cool.

    ReplyDelete